Friday, June 01, 2007

We're Not Lazy

You're right on there Andy ... not wanting to work for the man has nothing to do with being lazy. For me, it's about being the best and doing the best. And I feel that I can do that if I have control over what it is that i'm doing. Sure, I can be good at what someone else wants me to do. And call this ADD, procrastination or whatever you want to, but I have a hard time giving my complete focus to something and putting my all into it if it's not something my heart is completely into. And since I worry myself and feel inadequate over not being the best at something, I end up feeling stressed. Silly? Probably so, but it's me. One thing i've learned about myself is that it's best to do something i'm interested in, something that I have a passion for, rather than something that just pays well. Because I will inevitably sabotage myself. I want to have control over my artistic expression and creative juices. Know what I mean? And most of all ... I want to do something that involves said expression and juices! :-)

Now about the college thing ... I would just about give my left arm to go back to college and get a masters degree in math. Math has always been my thing. I love it. (I know, I know ... i'm strange ... i get that a lot) I took graduate level partial differential equations during my last semester of college just to fill up my schedule. I could have taken some easy cheesy pass/fail class but I wanted to continue on in math. I had a math class every semester of college before that so it just didn't feel right to not have one. Then when we moved here to Lake City, I taught math at the high school. Now, I tutor precalc and calculus students. And once in a while I pull out my old calculus books and work out some problems. Just because.

If I got my masters in math I could teach full time at one of the community colleges around here. And let me just tell you ... I would absolutely LOVE to do that! A variable schedule broken up by semesters, no 8 to 5. That would leave more flexibility for school field trips and soccer practice and t-ball games. THAT would be awesome. But for now, I will stay home and take care of my kiddos. Maybe some money will fall out of the sky and we'll be able to afford for me to go back to school. One thing I have going for me is all of my great mom friends in Gainesville. I know I could find some great childcare for the kids. And I would be happy to pay a good friend with values similar to mine (crunchy mamas) so my kids could play with thier friends. And to get another degree from UF ... well that would just be awesome.

Congrats on the simplifying thing. I've been doing a bit of that around here as well. We're also hunkering down trying to pay off some debt so that we can live better. And let me tell ya, that's not an easy thing to do. Every time we turn around there's some new expense we weren't planning on. And we don't go off on big vacations or even go out to dinner. Actually, I can't remember the last time I went out to dinner. The world we live in is so consumed with debt. We are all about "stuff". We want it all and we want it now and if you decide not to live like that, as we have, then you are looked at like you're being cheap. I could go on with this topic for a while and get all fired up but i'm having a good morning so I think i'll leave this one here. I will say one more thing though, anyone looking to "live like no one else, so that later you can live like no one else" as Dave Ramsey says ... I would highly recommend his books/cds/videos etc. Check it out at www.daveramsey.com. Good stuff man, good stuff.

So yep, i'm right there with ya Andy. No wonder we've been such great friends for so long. Great minds really do think alike, huh?

No comments: