Saturday, June 02, 2007

Big News!

You bring up a good point, Andy, and it's one that has always confused me. Please excuse the stereotyping here as it's for illustrative purposes and I know not everyone fits this ... but why is it that the Christians of this world seem to be the least likely to be recylcers and organitarians and the like? And why do they also seem to be some of the most materialistic? This, to me, seems counter intuitive. It is one of those things that will always leave me a bit dumbfounded. I would like to continue on this subject in a later post so please, remind me if I don't. I am also interested in the book you mentioned on the subject. Very intriguing. But for now my mind is consumed with something else.

Let's get back to the search for knowledge thing. I'm with you on this one. The older I get, the more I appreciate the ability to go to school and learn something new. I guess older really does bring wiser, at least in some areas. When I think about going back to school I have this overwhelming urge to go back and do it better than I did before. Does that make any sense? Sure I graduated and got a job and all that but if I could go back there to my college days with the same focus and passion that I have found now ... oh the things I could do! If I could just get one more shot at it ... I just know I could do great things. I know my grades would be better. I know I wouldn't procrastinate as much. I know I would study more. I know I would have the focus I always wished i'd had back then. At least I think I know all these things. Or do I? Is it just because it's something that I want to do that I feel I can't? Can I really do it? Am I just looking for a new challenge? Am I just missing my college days? These are the questions i've been toying with in my mind off and on again over the last three years and I think I finally know the answers. I know what i'm supposed to do.

I've done a lot of soul searching these past couple of months. My work-from-home gig dropped off a bit and really got me in a bit of a panic mode. Thankfully the business is back but it really gave me a bit of a scare. I've always worried what we would do if the work stopped coming my way but it's been so steady for three years now that I've allowed myself to get comfortable. Possibly a little too comfortable. Well this month of no work that I went through really got me thinking. And not just about what to do now but about what I want to do when the kids are in school. You see, the firm I do contract work for is the same firm my husband works for. Talk about having all your eggs in one basket.

I feel I've reached another turning point in life. Like when I graduated college, or when I gave up my career to move to Lake City, or when I gave up teaching to be a stay-at-home mom ... true turning points that lead to a very different daily life. And here I go again. I feel the need to take my eggs out of that basket I mentioned. Brett and I have talked it over and as long as all the details work out ... I'M GOING BACK TO SCHOOL!!!! :-) And i'm super excited about it. The last time I thought seriously about this I was pregnant with Houston and there were several details that we just couldn't seem to work out. We've realized in talking about this over the past couple of days that those obstacles no longer exist. The path to grad school is finally clear. I know you think i'm crazy with the
math thing but there's something to be said for following your natural talents. And as crazy as this may sound ... math seems to be my natural talent. It has followed me through every phase my life has gone through and I feel it will end in me having a job that fits me perfectly while allowing me freedom of schedule and lots of vacation time ... which means more time with my boys than a regular 8 to 5 would allow.

I still have a lot of things to think through and details to figure out so nothing is set in stone yet. I'm looking to start with the summer or fall 2008 semester so I still have a year with the boys and I plan to make the most of it. Leaving them will be the hardest part but the timing will work such that it will allow us to send them to private school, which is extremely important to me. If it all works out i'll graduate just before Houston starts kindergarten. It will be a tough two years but I know it will be worth it in the end.

I wish I had a humdinger of a question to leave you with but I don't. My mind is full of admission essays, recommendation letters, course schedules, assistanceships and the like.

No comments: