Monday, June 04, 2007

So Cool..

Hey, I'm so excited for you. That will be so great for you. It's funny how we get some consumed with why we "can't" that we sometimes don't take the time to look around and realize that those things that once held us up are no longer there. No matter what, though, I know you'll do great, even if it is math. Where are you going to go to school? Do you have that figured out yet? I'm just excited...


To continue with the conversation though, I'll begin by saying that I really don't know why Christians seem to be the last to come around to the side of conservation, ecology, and the like. And the materialism issue is another deal all in itself. Part of it seems to stem, and pardon me if this is a repeat of something we've discussed before, from a Left Behind sort of mentality. Just over 200 years or so ago a system of theology known as dispensationalism became popular and took root in Christian circles. This system tends to invoke that whole way of thinking that the end is near. Within this, it seems as though Christians have lost sight of a good portion of the Bible. That's one such instance that I can think of for the lack of Christian activism for these issues. Another to consider is the "prosperity gospel" teaching popularized within some Charismatic circles over the past several years. This emphasis upon health-and-wealth and finances in particular has placed an unhealthy focus upon our money as a sole blessing. On top of that, it misses the biblical teaching regarding blessings as well but that's a story for another day.

But, that's at least something. Forgive me if this is a bit disjointed, I started this morning and am just finishing now. But, I'm curious to hear your comments on the issue!

No comments: