Thursday, May 31, 2007

About Time!

Hey! It's nice to have you back. Seriously though, it really is good to re-start this conversation. It's too bad we're not able to share these over a nice long evening at Perkins or Denny's but then our faithful three readers wouldn't be able to eavesdrop either!

Anyway, all that aside, I hear you. I'm right there with you. I don't really feel like working for "The Man" anymore either. There is something incredibly freeing in being able to determine my own hours, my own schedule, and all that sort of thing. Yet, that is also something that requires a bit of working for "The Man" to get to. It's kind of weird how it works but, well, there you are. The irony is, and this is in response to those who might suggest that we are simply lazy or are not wanting to work, is that I really do like work. Even now, I'm pondering when and how I'll be able to go back to school to do my Master's work. Do I need to? No. Do I like the challenge of learning and growing? Yes. For me, this is the same thing. It simply builds off of one another.

In keeping with your previous "rambling" post, I think I'll take the same liberty this evening. My previous post some months ago dealt with a topic that is becoming more and more dear to my heart, the topic of simplicity. We as a family have actually taken this philosophy to a new level in some respects. Recently, we consolidated all of our things, giving much away to Goodwill as well as simply discarding some crazy junk that we had, and moved in with our in-laws. We did this in order to help them out financially as well as to enable us to do some fast track debt reduction and savings. It's a huge endeavor but it has been especially interesting to see how freeing just giving or throwing some junk away has been. The less stuff, the less worry. A book I've recently been reading, Serve God Save the Planet, puts it thusly: "Each time we divest ourselves of possessions, we have fewer earthly things that bind us." Very true.

I feel compelled to come up with some closing question that oozes profundity but that particular skill seems to escape me this evening. Maybe it's just best to let it suffice that our conversation is back in the swing again and we'll just propose to let thing progress organically. Good to be back!

No comments: