Saturday, June 02, 2007

Juices, Expressions, and Saving the World

Okay, let's just state this first thing: I love you very much. You're probably the closest and oldest friend that I have these days. With that being said though, math!? I know you're a little cuckoo sometimes but math?! But, alas, my love does not waver and I will support you in all endeavors!

Anyway, joking aside, yeah. There is something about that whole process of learning that is just redeeming in itself. It's not necessarily that I have huge goals of increased salaries and big-time career advancement, nor do you I believe, but the challenge and fun of learning never ceases to amaze me. There was a time that this would not have been true but the older I get, perhaps I have grown a bit wiser. And that wisdom leads me to a place where I long to learn, to grow, and to study. Yet, I do wish to study that which I wish to study.

Which leads me to your stated desire to pursue something that will allow you to explore and utilize your creative juices and expressions. Right on, sister! That's my heart too. While I acknowledge the need for said finances, I also acknowledge the inherent need within myself to create and to explore. This becomes increasingly more interesting as I consider my future in avenues of ministry and religion as well for those are halls wherein creativity is not always a perceived positive. Yet, I think that somewhere in there I'll find a place that works. And, regardless of what my "job" or "career" is, I'll continue to be a part of creating things, even if it's just for creativity's sake.

Just as a quick aside, let us acknowledge that this discussion of our desire to not work for "The Man" or to pursue avenues of artistic creativity does sound a bit haughty and self-obsessed. Yet, let us also acknowledge that this is a conversation between old friends talking about life and all things in between and we hope that you can appreciate that. Now, back to our regular programming...

To finish up here for tonight, I wanted to recommend a book to you that I mentioned in my last post, Serve God Save the Planet. I finally finished this up just the other day and found it to be a compelling and powerful read. It's a sad but true statement that Christians are not always known for their keen interest in the environment, nor for their removal from the "American Dream" capital-based mentality, yet Dr. Sleeth offers up hope for those who feel led to choose a different way. In fact, Sleeth offers up a manifesto of sorts that convincingly makes a case for a faith that encompasses not only issues of the spirit, but of this world as well. It's hard to explain in but a few words but using a solid base of Scripture and personal experience drawn from his time as a highly respected ER surgeon, Sleeth makes you think. For those of us who are feeling drawn to think of our Christianity in ways that include but grow beyond previous norms, this is just what the doctor ordered. I highly recommend this...

Just a last thought...We've been in agreement too much here now that we're back. Let's try and come up with some questions to make each other think!

No comments: