Sunday, November 19, 2006

Perfect Church?

Let me first comment on your previous post before diving into answering this oh-so-heavy question.

I like the term "time famine". It's a good one although I don't necessarily think we're really in a famine. Famine implies that we truly don't have the time. I'm not sure that's the case. More often than not, much as Rachel replied, it's more a matter of our consciously choosing to set aside those "shoulds". The ironic thing is that our "shoulds" are almost always the results of outside thinking. I should be at this career point. I should keep the house clean in case X stops by. I should do this and that because if I don't do it, it won't get done. We place too much emphasis upon externals and neglect the things that really matter, our family, our faith. Learning to let go of those attachments is so difficult, I think, simply because we have bought into the lie of being defined by them. I am "insert career position" instead of allowing, in my case, my identity to be found in my faith in God and in who I am in Him. Just a few thoughts there.

Okay, on to the church question. Didn't think we'd dive into the theological realm so soon but, well, here we are. This is a huge question that has loomed large in my mind for the past two and a half years since I left my youth ministry position. Perhaps I can share that story later if anyone is interested in background information because that experience definately colors this response. Anyway, it's a great question. Without diving in and offering Scripture references and whatnot for each and every point, let me offer some thoughts.

I would like a church that:
Valued people more than programs
Admitted that it has doubts and fears
Encouraged healing and restoration over judgment
Was honest about all sin, not just "pet" sins
Embraced a holistic understanding of faith, embracing mind, body, and soul
Encouraged and embraced the arts, seeing the hand of God in the works of His creation
Loves God and loves people
These ideas seem simple, a bit cliche, and maybe even a hair trite but the honest truth is that I'd be thrilled to find a church that truly lived out these ideas. In fairness, many congregations honestly do pursue these things and find themselves hamstrung by the very imperfect people you spoke of. It's true. Where there are people, there is no perfect church. Yet, we must strive to create a community of people who truly do seek to embody the teaching and the life of Jesus, who seemingly looks a lot different than what we know of Christianity.
What about you? Your faith journey definately has been different than mine. I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on this!
- Andy

No comments: