Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Okay...Time for More

Okay, thus far in rereading some of my most recent posts I realize that, well, I haven't really said much in regards to my response to yours in regards to either the "emerging church" or the pursuit of truth. So, in five minutes or less, here's a crash course!

Let's discuss the "emerging church" deal first. The emerging church movement is credited with beginning in the mid to late 90's as a response to the failures of our parent's fundamentalism as well as a reaction to the postmodern philosophy which began to really take a solid hold over modernism. Essentially, people saw the holes in the picture and started to rethink things, considering that there must be other ways to do things. Our good friends at Wikipedia have a really great breakdown on the movement here: Emerging churches.
I suggest you check that out and see if you have any questions from there.

As you'll see from the reading there, the movement is not without its share of critics as well as adherents. Much of the criticism does come from the open minded approach to the spiritual life and how we interpret it and so forth. This sounds very much like what you're encountering there in Lake City. With all due respect, you're not alone. I found myself at my non-denominational Bible college last year, asking questions that were a dash controversial, and having my salvation questioned. These were good people but to expand and rethink some things that, for them, just were, was not a worthwhile exercise. There is security in knowing, or at least thinking we know. Yet, if we are to truly know, I wonder if maybe we have to admit that, to some degree, we could be wrong. We need to have the courage to engage other viewpoints and to glean from the wisdom they offer.

There's a little something on the emerging church. Next post I'll address your discussion of truth, science, and God. Let's keep the discussion going!

- andy

No comments: